Music Monday - Broken Praise

A few years ago our Church journeyed through the Story.  From our youngest members to our oldest we went from the beginning to the end together.  Because sometimes I am nerd and have to go and do research on things I found that The Story actually had a soundtrack.   It immediately became one of my favourite playlists on Spotify.  I loved listening to songs as I read and studied.  Many of the songs spoke to my heart.  The one that still speaks to me is the one written about Job, which is funny because Job isn't even in the Story.  

The words of the song talk about a man in deep struggle and pain being accused of unconfessed sin, "buck up", you can't see the bigger plan.....  When you are going through struggles you hear so many things from people in the Church.  The one you rarely hear is the one of listen.  There are so many hurting people in our pews that just want to be listened to.  To be understood.  The problem is that our church culture has some cute quips supposed to make us feel better.  But really they don't.  

I have heard many of the quips over the years in regards to my husband's depression and our boys' autism.  The one that drives me up the wall is "God doesn't give you more than you can handle...."  I will write about that another day.  One only has to look at Job to see what God allowed to happen to him: loss of children, loss of wealth, physical pain, etc...   We will suffer as believers.  What we need to learn is how to empathize with those who are going through suffering.  Allowing them to cry out and wrestle with God and then allowing them to come to a place of shalom and healing.  It isn't ours to do.  It is His.


Comments

Popular Posts