Music Monday - Shake It Off

When I first started blogging I participated in a meme every Monday where we posted a song or music that meant something.  It was usually a worship song or hymn.  I am going to bring this back each Monday.  However, I think that I am going to post a song that either has meaning to me or is the anthem I feel is appropriate.  Sometimes this may be a Christian song, other times this may be a secular song.  Since becoming a Christian I have always seen music as a gift.  I have seen God's word in songs from secular artists and I have been challenged and encouraged by many different artists in my walk.  I am hoping that each week you too will be encouraged as I have been.



It may seem funny to start this with a  Taylor Swift song.  I am not even that big of  a fan and truth be told, neither is my teen daughter.

For the past 3 years I have had the pleasure and privilege of being an Elder in our church.  I find it ironic that the person who has only been a Christian since 2000 has been appointed by God to this position (we use lots to choose our Elders/Deacons).  Since June of 2017, I have also been Chair of Council (which again is an honour).  These past 3 years have been some of the toughest.  They have challenged my faith and strengthened it.  I have come to realize that as much as it is honour to be on Council it is hard because you see all the great things the Church is doing and you also know all the negative things as well, and you have to deal with them.

I have to confess that I have sometimes taken these things personally.  Sometimes it has been hard not to.  There is a sense of pride in being on Council and when you think you have made a decision that you felt led by God and then someone disagrees with it, it is hard not to take personally.  Lately this song and her "Look what you made me do!" have been in my mind.  I can either choose to shake off all the negative comments or I can choose to be defensive.  I believe as Christians we are called to choose to "shake it off".  Jesus even tells us to do that...

“Here’s another old saying that deserves a second look: ‘Eye for eye, tooth for tooth.’ Is that going to get us anywhere? Here’s what I propose: ‘Don’t hit back at all.’ If someone strikes you, stand there and take it. If someone drags you into court and sues for the shirt off your back, giftwrap your best coat and make a present of it. And if someone takes unfair advantage of you, use the occasion to practice the servant life. No more tit-for-tat stuff. Live generously.
Matthew 5:39-42 The Message

See He tells us to "turn the other cheek" or as the Message says "stand there and take it."  We need to shake off what others believe about us, because God sees us as we truly are and we need to remember that He sees us each as His children.  He has called each of us to serve in His Kingdom.  Sometimes people might not agree with us or see us where we have been placed.  But He alone has placed us where we are and appointed us to serve Him.  We need to start looking up instead of around, which is advice that I am currently giving myself as I "Shake It Off."

Comments

Popular Posts